Thursday, September 18, 2008

"I don't like daddy!"

At some point in your little girl's life, usually around three or four, she will proclaim she doesn't like her daddy. She'll say he's not nice and scream at random times when he tries to do anything with her. At first you'll wonder if he's doing anything wrong. And then you'll realize it's just a little girl thing. We're going through this right now and his biggest crime has been giving her the blue cup when she really wanted the purple cup. Not that she told him she wanted the purple one. She just expects him to know. This is tough for most men. They haven't come close to figuring out their female partners, let alone this temperamental bundle of drama. I feel sorry for my husband. He'll remember "the incident" and take out the purple cup next time she asks for a drink. He'll lovingly hand it to her full of juice and she'll scream, "I wanted milk!". Who knew? Certainly not him. I would've asked her first but he only remembers the last drink interaction. The next time around he'll give her milk in a purple cup and she'll yell in his face, "I wanted WARM milk not COLD milk!". It's a losing situation for most guys. I think this is training for them to accept the guy she chooses later on in life. We really think the dads are upset at the thought of their little girls dating but they are really thinking, "poor sucker, he'll never figure her out". 

Since my daughter is only pushing four, I don't know how long this phase will last. It started at around three and is running its course right now. My favourite part is when she kisses up to him like 5 minutes after an outburst because she wants something. All memory of screaming, I don't like daddy seems to be erased from her expanding mind. She'll be getting ready for bed and say, "I love you daddy, you are the best daddy in the world". And after he's all warm and fuzzy inside, she'll ask him to stay in her room until she falls asleep. That can be anywhere from 5 minutes to 1 hour, depending on her mood. So daddy will agree and end up snoring on the chair beside her. Somehow this thunderous sound lulls her to sleep. While they're both in slumberland, all memory of the aforementioned screaming about daddy gets erased. And they start from scratch the next morning. The circle of life continues.  


Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: